Weekend Roundup: 28 December 2013

With all the games in League Cup Section A postponed it left four games taking place today. 

Section B

Spartans 3-2 Whitehill

A depleted Whitehill Welfare made the trip across the Capital to take on Spartans at a cold and blustery Ainslie Park.

Both teams started brightly and played some good football, the crowd had to wait until just after half an hour for a goal and that was provided by Wayne Sproule. A ball was crossed into the Spartans box and Darren McGlashan played it back across to Sproule who prodded the ball into the net from close range.

Spartans leveled early in the second half when Ali McKinnon got on the end of a cross and bundled the ball over the line.  Keith McLeod put Spartans in front on the hour mark when his shot nestled low in the net.

Willie Bremner then sealed the victory when his powerful shot from twenty-five yards left the keeper with no chance.

Whitehill did get a second in injury time when the Spartans defence failed to clear a cross and Michael Bruce smashed home from six yards out.


Edinburgh City 0-3 Stirling University

Stirling University continued their winning run when the visited Meadowbank to face Edinburgh City.

Stirling took the lead after twenty five minutes when Geddes slotted the ball into the net. Just before the interval prolific scorer Paul Sludden doubled the student’s lead when he fired home.

Geddes got his second of the day on the hour mark to put the students top of the section.


Section C

Gretna 2-1 East Kilbride

East Kilbride made the journey to Gretna having won by a six-goal margin last week. The visitors took the lead on quarter of an hour when McLeish slotted the ball into the net.

Gretna left it to late to get on the score sheet and finally leveled the game in the fiftieth minute when White scored. Bannon scored ten minutes later to secure the victory for the home side.


Threave Rovers 1-4 Dalbeattie

Threave welcomed closest neighbours Dalbeattie to Meadow Park and found themselves a goal behind when Scott Milligan scored in the twentieth minute. Struthers and Steele scored just before the interval and the visitors went in at half time three goals to the good.

Threave were thrown a lifeline in the seventieth minute when a penalty was awarded and Wilby stepped up and fired the ball into the net.

Dalbeattie sealed all three points when Steele got his second of the afternoon with just ten minutes to play.