Lowland League Roundup – Matchday 23

There were goals everywhere on Saturday and our reporters have them all in the same place for you

bsc glasgow 4-1 berwick rangers

By Martin Fleming

Despite Berwick Rangers taking an early lead, Stephen Swift’s men made a quick comeback and were able to take all three points thanks to a three-goal advantage.

Only thirteen minutes in and Berwick Rangers went 1-0 up when Gary Windram smashed home a free-kick from the edge of the box. Despite the newfound confidence by the Black and Gold, it proved nothing for BSC Glasgow who were intent they were going into their Scottish Cup tie next week with another league win under their belt.

It only took a further thirteen minutes for the home side to grab an equaliser and by the half hour mark, BSC Glasgow were 3-1 up. First, a good run from Thomas Orr fashioned a low ball into the box allowing Martin Grehan to tap in. Immediately after, Jamie Hamilton hit in a beautiful long range shot from thirty yards out. Martin Grehan was able to grab a brace shortly after when he headed home a cross from Jamie McCormack.

The second half fizzled out and BSC Glasgow looked to kill the game. Their opportunity came thanks to Thomas Orr dispossessing a Berwick defender and going into the box on his own thumping in a great strike over Berwick keeper Sean Brennan.

Berwick continue a poor run of form while BSC Glasgow will hope to utilize this talent next week against Hibernian.

kelty hearts 4-1 caledonian braves

By Ben McNicol

Nathan Austin’s eighth hat-trick of the season helped Kelty Hearts overcome Caledonian Braves on Saturday afternoon.

That is now his 34th league goal of the season, and 44th goal in all competitions. A quite unbelievable record.

Barry Ferguson’s men got off to a slow start and survived an early scare when Ross McNeil was inches away from putting his side ahead. A long ball forward had Ben MacKenzie caught in no mans land, and McNeil rounded the Kelty keeper, but the ball went just went out of play before he could tap into the empty net.

However, the home side began to dominate the game and broke the deadlock on the 23rd minute when Austin beat two Braves defenders before firing an effort high into the roof of the net.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic though as Ricky Waddell’s men gave it a good to, but a tactical switch by Ferguson just after the hour mark paid off as Kelty doubled their lead.

Substitute Cameron Russell got past his man on the right-hand side and his inch perfect cross was headed home by Austin.

Dylan Easton put the game to bed on the 73rd minute when he beat two men with some brilliant footwork on the edge of the box and his effort took a deflection and beat Alex Marshall.

“Fash” completed his hat-trick soon after. He latched onto a long ball forward and was soon clean through on goal. He showed the quality he possesses as he lobbed the ball over Marshall.

The visitors did pull one back for their efforts with ten minutes remaining. Serge Mokofo forced Thomas Scobbie into a mistake and the winger done excellently well to finish from a tight angle.

civil service strollers 1-0 gretna 2008

By Martin Fleming

There was little to report on at Christie Gillies Park as Strollers and Gretna attempted to fight off the bad weather in Edinburgh.

Neither team were able to breakthrough in the first half with both sides struggling to battle the wind and rain. As the second half commenced, it was clear Cammy Muirhead had gotten used to the conditions as he started to trouble the Gretna defence.

The breakthrough never came until the 79th minute when Muirhead picked out Craig Newall in the box and he was able strike home.

Civil dominated the remaining ten minutes but struggled to double their advantage. Both teams remain in their respective 6th and 13th place positions.

university of stirling 0-3 bonnyrigg rose

By Craig Edwards

A Kieran McGachie double helped Bonnyrigg Rose stay within six points of Kelty Hearts at the top of the Lowland League table.

The Rose striker gave the visitors a very early lead at Forthbank Stadium after he headed home Gray’s corner.

The University side kept the scoreline tight at the half time with just the solitary goal between the two and could have equalised shortly into the second half when McMaster fired over but Rose took advantage of the let off and doubled their lead.

McGachie slotted the ball home from around the penalty spot before the points were well and truly secured when Lewis Turner’s low shot found the far bottom corner.

Victory means Rose keep the pressure on the league leaders while Stirling Uni stay in tenth place.

east kilbride 2-2 gala fairydean rovers

By Gregor Mackintosh

The points were shared at K-Park on Saturday afternoon after East Kilbride and Gala Fairydean Rovers played out a 2-2 draw which will see both sides maintain their previous league positions.

East Kilbride took the lead early on, after attackers Craig Malcolm and Daryl Healy combined to set up Ruari Paton who slotted home against his former side to make it 1-0 just before the 10 minute mark.

It didn’t take long for Gala Fairydean to react to this early goal as they got their equaliser through midfielder Marc Berry after a cross wasn’t cleared on the 26th minute. Gala doubled their lead moments later when top goal-scorers Zander Murray and Danny Galbraith turned defence into attack after breaking quickly, allowing Danny Galbraith to nestle the ball in the back of the EK net.

EK came out with a vengeance in the second half and were rewarded when the expert link up play of Daryl Healy allowed Kieran Gibbons to drill home his effort from just outside the box and secure a point at home for EK.

This result sees East Kilbride remain in 7th place while Gala Fairydean stay in 11th place in the Lowland League.

edinburgh university 2-5 the spartans

By Damon Main

If Edinburgh University are to avoid a very highly nervous end to the Lowland League season then more than just the odd win every 10 games will be required.

While the win over Cumbernauld Colts was welcomed and celebrated, the student side knew that fellow Edinburgh side Spartans provided a far sterner test.

Visiting coach Dougie Samuel had the security of naming dangerman Blair Atkinson in his line-up and with less than 10 minutes on the clock it was Atkinson who gave the visitors the lead.

On 16 minutes Spartans went 2-0 up. Atkinson was brought down and Scott Maxwell dispatched the kick home.

There was then a break in play for what looked a dangerous injury to Mark Waters before Jack Smith knocked home to give Spartans what seemed an unassailable 3 goal lead.

Despite their poor run of results, Uni have shown they are fighters and true to that style key man Patrick Baird stroked home to give them hope with half time looming.

University have been vulnerable this season from corners and whatever the home side have been working on to remedy that shortcoming didn’t work on 54 minutes when Maxwell gave Spartans a 4-1 lead.

Despite going down to 10 men following a red card, Baird again showed his quality to reduce the deficit. However, as has happened so often this season the students failed to build momentum and Spartans scored a fifth to secure the win through Jack Smith.

east stirlingshire 6-1 dalbeattie star

By Gregor Mackintosh

A rampant second half display from East Stirlingshire was enough to sweep aside underdogs Dalbeattie Star as they ran out 6-1 winners at the Falkirk Stadium on Saturday.

The Shire were in control for much of the game as Star sat deep for large portions of the game in an attempt to thwart any Shire attacks. Jamie Dishington opened the scoring for Shire after 25 minutes as he dribbled past a Dalbeattie defender after a sublime backheel flick from Ross McLaughlin carved open the defence.

Shire continued to attack and once again it was that man Jamie Dishington who doubled their lead in the same fashion as his opening goal, as he danced past the Dalbeattie defence before slotting home into the bottom corner from a tight angle.

Shire came out all guns blazing after halftime and made it 3-0 after 46 minutes. This time it was Shire striker Sean Brown who got onto the end of a pinpoint cross from left back Willie Dyer, who made his first appearance back in the first team since a dislocated shoulder sidelined him earlier in the season.

Dalbeattie managed to get themselves back into the game not long after, after a goalmouth scramble from a corner allowed Richard Maxwell to calmly fire into the Shire net, offering a glimmer of hope that they may be able to snatch something from the game.

Nicky Low made it 4-1 to the Shire moments later, after some good link up play allowed for Low to have the ball cut back to him before he shuffled past the Dalbeattie centre back and slotted past Dalbeattie keeper Vinnie Parker.

The 5th goal came in strange form when Shire fullback Martin Orr tallied his second league goal of the season after an Andy Rodgers stroke smashed off the post before hitting off Martin Orr and rolling back over the line from a few yards out.

If that was a strange sight for Shire fans then they were in for a treat when centre back Adam Murray headed home and finally got his first goal for Shire after 101 appearances for the club much to the joy of the home crowd.

This result sees Shire remain in 3rd place in the Lowland League while The Star sit in 14th place, precariously positioned 3 points above bottom of the table Vale of Leithen.

cumbernauld colts 7-1 vale of leithen

By Ronan Alexander

Five goals in the opening 24 minutes from Cumbernauld Colts blew Vale of Leithen away in a 7-1 thrashing at Broadwood Stadium on Saturday.

Stephen O’Neill got the hosts off to a perfect start after getting on the end of a Marty Wright pass with only 30 seconds on the clock.

With 8 minutes gone it was 2-0 when Michael Cunningham scored on his debut after joining on loan from Dundee.

Five minutes later the game was put beyond doubt when O’Neill grabbed his second before Dean Ritchie scored a fourth with only 15 minutes on the clock.

The disastrous start for the Borderers didn’t get any easier as Cunningham completed his brace 10 minutes later.

Vale survived until the break and on the hour mark pulled a goal back through Liall Smith.

However, Colts added two more goals to their tally courtesy of a Marty Wright header before O’Neill completed his hat trick.

Craig McKinlay and James Orr’s men jump up to 8th in the table and Vale remain bottom, but with Edinburgh Uni, Dalbeattie and Gretna also all losing, it’s as you were at the foot of the table.