Lowland League Roundup: Scottish Cup First Round

The boys return with more from the William Hill Scottish Cup! There weren’t many shocks but there are bound to be a few interesting Second Round ties and a few sides who will fancy themselves to make that all-important Third Round.

William Hill Scottish Cup First Round


by Ronan Alexander

A Sean Brown brace helped Cumbernauld Colts comfortably overcome East of Scotland outfit Burntisland Shipyard.  Colts put four past an EoS side for the second time in as many weeks, after defeating Arniston Rangers 4-0 a last Saturday.

Cumbernauld took the lead after 13 minutes when Fraser Team continued his rich vein of form in front of goal. However, the hosts equalised on the stroke of half time through Reece Brown.

Three second half goals sealed the win for the Lowland League outfit, with Brown scoring in the 61st and 78th minute before winger Stephen O’Neil netted three minutes from time to wrap up what turned out to be a comprehensive triumph.

The win for Cumbernauld set up a home tie against BSC Glasgow in the next round.


by Ronan Alexander

A late equaliser from David Churchill earned Civil Service Strollers a replay against Highland League side Forres Mechanics.

Strollers took the lead after 15 minutes through Robbie Laird, which was his second goal of the season after he headed in Andy Mair’s cross. The Cans got back on level terms after 42 minutes when a crisp strike from Alan Pollock that went in off the post.

Pollock then put Forres in front midway through the second half with an excellent volley from the edge of the box that would be a contender for goal of the round, but Churchill nestled one low into the corner to ensure the tie goes to a replay this weekend, with the winner getting an away trip to Scottish League Two leaders Edinburgh City.


by Ronan Alexander

Whitehill Welfare defeated Edinburgh University 1-0 to set up a tie away to Elgin City in the second round of the Scottish Cup.

Kevin Keane was the match winner, scoring after 53 minutes with a rocket that found the top corner from 30 yards. Andrew Fleming and Gregg Meikle both impressed for the hosts as they earned a joint man of the match award.

It was a much needed victory for Whitehill, who have struggled so far this season, but that win could be the turning point in their campaign, setting up an away tie against Elgin City in Round Two.

Huntly 1-4 East Stirlingshire

by Craig Edwards

East Stirlingshire booked their place in the second round of the William Hill Scottish Cup with a routine victory away in Huntly.

The Lowland League side took the lead on the 23rd minute thanks to Drew Ramsay but Huntly pulled a goal back just over ten minutes later through Alexander Jack. The sides went in level at half-time before Andrew Rodgers restored Shire’s lead four minutes after the break when he converted from twelve yards after Ross Allum was tripped in the penalty box.

Ten minutes later, East Stirlingshire all but confirmed their spot in the next round as Allum scored before fifteen minutes from time, the visitors got their fourth as Allum scored his second of the game.

East Stirlingshire eased through in the end as they gained revenge for their 2015 cup exit at Christie Park. They’ll play Gala Fairydean Rovers in the Second Round.

Edusport Academy 3-1 Buckie Thistle

by Craig Edwards

Edusport Academy reached the second round of the William Hill Scottish Cup in style, thanks to three goals in the first half to seal victory over Scottish Highland League side, Buckie Thistle.

Scott McLaughlin got the Lowland League side off to a perfect start after only three minutes when he put the ball in the back of the net. McLaughlin was the star of the show for Edusport Academy as he scored his side’s second and third to complete his hat-trick before half-time and secure the win in the first forty-five minutes.

Buckie Thistle were Highland League champions two years ago and showed a bit of their quality as they got one back with twenty minutes remaining.

All in all it was a pretty convincing victory for Edusport Academy with the reward a tie against another Highland League side in the form of Fraserburgh.


by Jordan Robertson

It was the Lowland league side that came on top in this battle of Lowland League vs Highland League. It was a very bright start for Stirling Uni as they pressured Keith from the first whistle and it only took only 15 minutes for their pressure to pay off. Birthday boy Blair Lyons had a day to remember as he cooly slotted past the Keith keeper to put the Uni 1-0 up.

Five minutes later and the hosts lead was doubled and Lyons was involved again. This time he managed to win a penalty, which star man Kieran Hall tucked away. The home side managed to make it to the break without conceding despite heavy pressure from Keith. However, in the second half they would concede on the 76th minute. Fortunately, the Lowland league side held on and progressed to the next round where they will face Deveronvale.


by Jordan Robertson

It was a disappointing game between two Lowland league sides on Saturday. It was a stalemate on the opening game of the season and history repeated itself again on Saturday. The 186 punters who turned up at Islecroft will surely have went home disappointed as it was a game that on paper, had potential to be a cracker which never really got going.

Neither side really got into the game and chances were few and far between. However, both sides now know who they will face should they progress to the next round. League 2 side Peterhead are the opponents for the winners of the replay so the incentive of playing an SPFL side may spur both sides on and lead to a more entertaining match. The replay will be held at New Central Park next Saturday.

Gretna 2008 3-2 Vale of Leithen

by Martin Fleming

In one of a few surprising results this weekend, one of which was bottom of the Lowland League table, Gretna defeating 8th place Vale of Leithen in a hard fought battle at Raydale.

It was the Innerleithen side who opened up the scoring 15 minutes in when Sean Stewart found the back of the net; however Gretna’s Kingsley Gradison grabbed an equaliser just before the half hour mark.  The teams seemed an extremely evenly-matched bunch, especially when Gretna’s Ashley Kelly put the borders side ahead on the 37th minute but Vale came smashing out the gate as the second half whistle blew and found their equaliser almost immediately.

The stalemate continued until Kelly grabbed his second of the game 68 minutes in, enough to see Andy Aitken and Davie Irons’ side hold their good form against a strong team. Gretna will look ahead to their second round draw against Berwick Rangers hoping to pull a shock win out of the bag against league opposition.

Gala Fairydean Rovers 6-0 Lossiemouth

by Martin Fleming

It was the Galashiels side who went into this fixture as the favourites and they did not disappoint the home support who turned out in their numbers to roar on Dean Shanks’ side.

A convincing victory of six goals to nil helped Shanks’ squad to guarantee their place in the second round. Hibernian loanee, Ruari Paton opened the big score line twice in the first ten minutes – his first was an expertly placed finish from a free kick while his second showcased even more of his talent when he rounded the keeper to slot home.

Tommy Patterson found Gala’s third just after the half hour mark and the side seemed content with the lead until they went searching for more starting at the 74th minute when Paton found his hat trick shortly followed by Sean McKirdy getting in on the goals and Dale Baxter scoring another Gala just before the full time whistle.

Lossiemouth make the long journey back to their lowly position in the Highland League while Gala look ahead to their second round draw against fellow Lowlanders, East Stirlingshire.

In the only league fixture this weekend, Spartans and East Kilbride played out a 0-0 draw at Ainslie Park before finding out that they’d drawn each other in the Scottish Cup Second Round.