Lowland League Roundup – Matchday 27

East Kilbride took another step closer to the title with wind, rain and late goals elsewhere. Martin, Ronan and Jordan have a roundup of this weekend’s action.

Edusport Academy 0-1 East Kilbride

by Martin Fleming

Kilby are now only one win away from securing the league title thanks to a 1-0 victory over Edusport Academy at Galabank.

Despite the significance of the game for the league leaders, it was a match with not much action. Ricky Waddell’s Edusport side didn’t let EK grab any more than just one. The only goal came on the 33rd minute when Craig Reid whipped a perfect cross into the box to find the head of skipper Craig Malcolm who headed home.

The second half came and went as Stuart Malcolm’s men searched for a wider lead but a stubborn Edusport Academy hoped for an equaliser that couldn’t be found.

East Kilbride will look ahead to their potential title clinching match in Cumbernauld Colts in two weeks while Edusport will hope to climb out of their eighth-place position in the final weeks of the league campaign.


Gala Fairydean Rovers 2-2 East Stirlingshire

by Martin Fleming

The two mid-table sides shared the spoils at Netherdale thanks to two goals apiece despite Gala going 2-0 up.

The opening forty-five saw much back and forth between the two squads battling to climb up the league table in the closing games. A penalty kick opened the scoring for Gala which was slotted home by on-form man Ruari Paton.

The next big opportunity to improve on the score line didn’t come until the 77th minute when the Fairydean’s Phil Addison capitalised on a breakthrough and doubled the lead.

It seemed to be all over for Shire, but they clearly never lost hope as four minutes after Gala’s double, Ross Allum’s header deflected off Gala’s Ricky Miller and pulled one back. Shire’s fight for the equaliser finally paid off with three minutes remaining thanks to Connor Greene finding the back of the net breaking a club goal scoring record.

Both sides remain in sixth and ninth place, respectively.


Civil Service Strollers 1-0 University of Stirling

by Ronan Alexander

Gary Jardine’s Civil Service Strollers climbed back up to fourth in the table courtesy of a 1-0 victory over University of Stirling.

The first opportunity of note came after 27 minutes when Aidan Ferris went down in the box after Civil keeper Josh Donaldson brought him down in the box, but their appeals were waved away.

Strollers found the breakthrough on the stroke of half time when the visitors keeper made a good initial save but Iain Ballantyne managed to fire the ball home from inside the box.

Rory MacEwan and Matthew Burrows impressed for Stirling, but they couldn’t find the equaliser whilst Andrew Mair stood out for the hosts as Strollers secured all three points in a second half largely dominated by the windy conditions.

Cumbernauld Colts 1-1 Edinburgh University

by Ronan Alexander

Cumbernauld Colts and Edinburgh University’s wait for three points continue as neither side could seal that elusive win at Broadwood on Saturday.

Dorian Ogunro’s side took the lead after 36 minutes courtesy of defender Patrick Baird. Colts equalised in the second half when winger Stephen O’Neill scored his fourth goal of the campaign, assisted by impressive stiker Fraser Team.

However, the draw means Cumbernauld are now winless in five matches as Edinburgh Uni haven’t won in the league since November, but it was a valuable point for them away from home. The result didn’t move either side in the table as they both sit seventh and 12th respectively.


spartans 2-1 kelty hearts

by Jordan Robertson

Spartans secured a very important three points on Friday and extended their winning run to four games on the bounce.

Kelty were hoping to extend their eight game unbeaten run in this one and they started brightly. Errol Douglas and Stuart Cargill had early half chances for the visitors, however the wind was affecting the game. Jack Smith nearly got the opener for the hosts just before half time however his effort went narrowly wide. It was a scrappy affair that was level at the halfway point.

After the restart Kelty continued to put their foot on the gas and their pressure paid off when ex-Spartans man Errol Douglas marked his return with a goal. Douglas sent a driven shot low past Blair Carswell and into the Spartans net to give Kelty the lead on 50 minutes.

The home side were not prepared to roll over though and within five minutes they were back level through Scott Maxwell who slotted home after being played through by Jack Smith.

Spartans sensed a real opportunity to go and win the game at this point and really applied some pressure. Jack Smith had a great chance saved and it was looking as though it may be one of those days for the hosts.

However, on the 80th minute Blair Atkinson picked the ball out wide, showed great skill to cut inside the Kelty players and sent a tremendous placed shot into the Kelty net to win the game for the hosts. It was a goal worthy of winning any game.

This victory brings Spartans to within five points of Kelty with a game in hand.


Gretna 2008 vs Whitehill Welfare and Vale of Leithen vs BSC Glasgow both failed 9am pitch inspections on Saturday and were postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.