Lowland League Roundup – Matchday 17

The weather put quite a few games away this weekend as icy storms rolled in across the country – but four matches went ahead and some brave souls even went along to see them! Our reporters have all the takeaways from another exciting GeoSonic Lowland League weekend…


by Craig Edwards

The points between Gala Fairydean Rovers and Edinburgh University were shared at a very cold, wet and windy Netherdale.

With driving rain throughout the match, the game was never going to be an amazing spectacle, but the home side started brightly and aimed to give their fans that had braved the weather something to cheer.

On the seventh minute, the hosts gave their supporters something to cheer. Sandy Cunningham was played through down the right hand side, his shot dinked over the goalkeeper and Ruari Paton tapped the ball into the back of the net for his third goal in two games.

The home side were well on top in the first half with Mark Tait making numerous saves to keep his side in the game.

Finn Daniels-Yeoman had the away side’s first real opportunity of the game when he headed over the bar but he would have a big impact in Edinburgh’s equaliser.

The midfielder got down the left wing and whipped a low ball into the six yard box which Stuart McNicholls gladly tapped into the net to level on the stroke of half-time.

The referee inspected the playing surface at half-time and gave the all clear for the second half, a half which Edinburgh University were arguably the better side however, Tait in the Edinburgh goal was forced in to a fine save to deny Sean McKirdy’s long range effort.

Substitute David Smith almost won it at the death for the visitors but both sides will feel they should have left with all three points and it means that both sides stay in eighth and ninth place in the table.



by Martin Fleming

It was the league leaders who came out victorious in the battle of top vs bottom, however not with as big a goal margin as some may have expected.

East Kilbride managed to go three goals up within the first 23 minutes; Anton Brady found the back of the net a minute into play, Graeme Holmes found the second and Paul Woods got the third from an unchallenged header. It looked to be a thumping; however three was all that Kilby could manage.

Whitehill grabbed a consolation goal through Fabio Neto just before half time but neither team could get another in the second half. Their positions stay the same – Kilby continue the fight for the title while Welfare seem  further away from escaping the bottom position.



by Ronan Alexander

BSC Glasgow climbed to second in the table after a thumping 6-1 victory over struggling University of Stirling.

Thomas Orr scored twice in the opening five minutes taking his tally to 12 for the season and giving the visitors a mountain to climb in the freezing conditions.

After half-time, Orr turned provider when he set up Shaun Struthers to make it 3-0 after 48 minutes. However, six minutes later, Chris Geddes’ men got a way back into the match when Dominic Slattery powered home from a corner.

Man-of-the-match Struthers then assisted Davie Winters who squirmed a shot through the goalkeeper to make it four, before Struthers this time set up Declan Hughes to all but seal the points.

BSC saved the best for last when Martin Grehan fired home from outside the box taking Stephen Swift’s men above Kelty Hearts and into second place. For the students, they remain third bottom on 13 points.



by Jordan Robertson

Gretna 2008 ended a run of poor form with a superb away thrashing of Edusport Academy, with the help of a Daniel Smales hat-trick.

The home side were looking to end a two game losing streak. However, they got off to a poor start when the visitors took the lead on 10 minutes through Ashley Kelly. It was a miserable day and conditions were tough but Edusport’s day was made even tougher on 29 minutes when Gretna made it 2-0.

Three minutes later and it was three, with Smales grabbing two goals in quick succession. By this point it was damage limitation for the hosts and they managed to hold out without conceding any more until half time.

It was more of the same after the restart as Gretna made it four on 48 minutes with Smales completing his hat-trick.

The hosts did grab one back through a wonderful Scott McLaughlin strike, but it was only a consolation as Gretna finished up their scoring 10 minutes before the end to make it 5-1 courtesy of Kevin Connelly.

It is a wonderful result for Gretna, who have struggled recently, and it is worrying for Edusport who are under some pressure now. They are now level on points with Cumbernauld Colts, although Colts have three games in hand.