Lowland League Roundup – Matchday 16

Weekends are great, aren’t they? Can’t wait for another one. Anyway! Let’s look back on a fantastic weekend of Lowland League matches in the company of our dynamite reporters…

Kelty Hearts 0 – 3 BSC Glasgow

by Craig Edwards

Kelty Hearts lost their grip on top spot in the Scottish Lowland League as they suffered their first defeat since August at the hands of BSC Glasgow.

In a fiery encounter at New Central Park, the referee was at the centre of it all as the first half failed to get any sort of flow to it, however, just after the half hour mark, the match had its first big talking point. Ciaren Chalmers, who has been in good form recently for Kelty mistimed his tackle and was shown a straight red card while Kelty assistant manager Bob Malcolm, who was standing in for the pre-disposed Barry Ferguson, was sent to the stands.

It took to the second half for BSC to make their numerical advantage pay. Less than a minute after half time a high ball in was turned into his own net by Elliot Ford. This was the start of a horror fifteen minutes for the hosts that would ultimately decide the outcome of the game.

The lead was doubled when Martin Grehan robbed centre back Murray Carstairs on the edge of his own box and fired the ball into the top left corner.

The visitors secured the three points on the hour mark when Robbie McNab received the ball and, as time stood still, executed a deft lob which took the ball over Scott Christie and into the back of the net. The drama wasn’t over just yet as Stephen Husband was given his marching orders after a rash challenge on David Verlaque as the home side finished with nine men.

Victory for BSC Glasgow means they close the gap to just two points between themselves and now second placed, Kelty Hearts, with the Fifers losing top spot to East Kilbride.


by Martin Fleming

Spartans continued their winning ways on a wet and windy night at Ainslie Park and managed to hammer six past rusty Vale of Leithen.

The Innerleithen men proved a month off from league games wasn’t exactly what they needed and couldn’t manage anything against an impressive Spartans who opened the scoring thanks to Jason Stevens only eleven minutes in. Spartans fans only had to wait just over fifteen minutes for their second when a fantastic strike from Alan Brown thundered past Ross Gilpin between the sticks.

Adam Corbett grabbed the third just before half-time from a corner. The in-form American, Stephen MacDonald got on the score sheet just after the hour mark, while Mikey Herd grabbed the fifth and MacDonald managed a double in the last 10 minutes to cement their victory.

Vale fall to 11th position while Spartans move back up the table to fourth.


by Jordan Robertson

East Stirlingshire finally put an end to their losing streak with a fine away win over Edusport Academy. The first half was a goalless one, although the visitors did have a few chances. Derek Ure hit the woodwork a few times, however the deadlock could not be broken.

It took only ten minutes for the visitors to take the lead after the restart though, when Paul McCafferty blasted it home after Ure played him through. Matty Flynn managed to level the scores five minutes later but the hosts did not look comfortable and Derek Ure finally got his goal straight from a corner kick. Ross Allum completed the scoring for the visitors and consolidated himself as top scorer in the League in the process.


by Ronan Alexander

East Kilbride returned to the top of the table after a comfortable 4-1 victory over University of Stirling on Saturday.

Kilby took the lead midway through the first half when a corner found its way to Jamie Longworth, who headed back across goal for Craig Malcolm to fire into the net.

Ten minutes before half time, the visitors doubled their lead when a BJ Coll delivery was headed home by Longworth. Two goals in two minutes early in the second half sealed the points for EK when Graeme Holmes volleyed into the net before Sean Winter went round the goalkeeper to make it four.

The hosts did net a consolation after 58 minutes after a flowing counter-attack ended with Blair Lyons scored his second Lowland League goal of the season, meaning Chris Geddes men remain third bottom in the table.


by Ronan Alexander

Civil Service Strollers climbed to fifth in the table after an emphatic 6-0 demolition of managerless Gretna 2008 on Saturday.

It took until five minutes before half time for the first goal to come, and it was Froude who provided it after getting on the end of a Craig Newall cross.

In the second half, the floodgates started to open and Froude grabbed his second of the game before he turned provider for Cammy Muirhead to make the score 3-0.

Muirhead went on to complete his brace with a composed finish after a slack clearance from the hosts. Then Jordan Hopkinson got in on the act with two late goals after another Froude assist, and the scoring was completed when Hopkinson’s shot was saved by the Gretna keeper but hit a defender and found its way into the back of the net.


by Martin Fleming

It was no doubt a tight affair at East Peffermill when Edinburgh University looked to regain some form.

The game looked destined to be a stalemate with no team able to penetrate the other’s net until Dalbeattie showed their refreshed squad was just what they needed to grab a vital three points when they managed a winner in stoppage time through Lewis Sloan.

The 1-0 victory widens the gap between the bottom two sides and another few games like this could see Star begin an ascent up the table while Edinburgh Uni remain eighth.


by Jordan Robertson

Gala Fairydean Rovers travelled home with all three points at the weekend after a good win against Cumbernauld Colts. This defeat may leave Colts starting to feel slightly under pressure as it is their fourth loss in five games.

It started so well for the hosts who took the lead on seventeen minutes through the ever reliable Sean Brown and they managed to hold the lead till the half time break. However, a defensive mix up from the home side five minutes after the restart led to a Gala goal from Hibs loanee Ruari Paton. From this, Gala gained confidence and eventually took the lead on 66 minutes, Paton doubling his tally, and managed to hold on till the end.

This result leaves Gala only four points behind Colts although the Broadwood side do have two games in hand.