Lowland League Roundup – Matchday 13

If it’s fascinating results you fancy then you might enjoy


by Martin Fleming

East Kilbride remain in second position after swiping Shire aside, staying a point behind league leaders Kelty Hearts following their draw with Spartans.

The game, played in the rain and wind at K-Park, got off to a slow start with very little to report on from the first half. Possession went back and forth and by half time, the points could’ve been anybody’s mainly due to the strong winds causing trouble for both sides.

Kilby came back out after the break determined to grab the win and on 55 minutes found the net. Graeme Holmes broke through the Shire midfield to slot the ball to Paul Woods who slid past the defence almost too easily to roll the ball past Jamie Barclay and get the first goal of the afternoon.

Twelve minutes later, the lead was doubled thanks to skipper Craig Malcolm. Sean Winter managed a great pass to set up the captain for a great finish. Only a few minutes later, Malcolm could’ve grabbed another to really cement the victory but shot just wide of the left post.

Shire desperately tried to get back in the game but their biggest opportunity was wasted when Andy Grant fired over the bar from six yards out.

Just before full time, more bad luck fell upon Shire as Kris Faulds went down with a bad injury. He was taken to hospital following the game and was diagnosed with ankle ligament damage. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

East Kilbride makes the top of the table even tighter with this victory, with a game in hand over leaders, Kelty Hearts. East Stirlingshire fall down to 11th place, despite a great start to the season.


by Ronan Alexander

Super sub Michael McAnespie came off the bench to grab a brace to secure the shock result of the weekend as Gretna 2008 thrashed Cumbernauld Colts at Broadwood.

With the game goalless at the break, it took six minutes into the second half for the deadlock to be broken when Daniel Fitzpatrick netted his second goal of the season. With 20 minutes remaining Craig Henderson got the hosts back on level terms. This goal brought the introduction of McAnespie, and within eight minutes of coming on he scored twice to put Gretna in the driving seat.

Stuart Gray put the icing on the cake in stoppage time scoring on his first appearance of the campaign after netting ten times in thirteen games last season before sustaining a nasty injury. Despite the shock home defeat, Cumbernauld remain in the top six, whilst Gretna leapfrog University of Stirling into 12th place in the table.

Kelty Hearts 1-1 The Spartans

The Spartans headed to New Central Park on the back of a late draw with Edusport Academy last weekend. Dougie Samuels’ side were struggling to control games this season and would have been well aware of Kelty Hearts’ attacking threats.

The game was fairly even until the 39th minute when Blair Tolmie got on the end of a corner to power a header home. Another even spell followed, providing plenty of entertainment for the assembled crowd at a blustery NCP. Into the final twenty minutes and Stuart Cargill was slid in by Garry Leighton as Scott Maxwell came across and knocked him off the ball. Penalty Kelty. Stephen Husband converted the penalty to make it 1-1.


by Craig Edwards

An eighty-ninth minute equaliser denied Whitehill Welfare only their second victory of the season as the bottom side had to settle for a point at Victoria Park. The visitors started brightly and took the lead after only eight minutes when Sean Lally headed home Kyle Mitchell’s free kick.

Things got better for Whitehill when Vale of Leithen were reduced to ten men after the sending off of Bonnar but the hosts responded after the break and equalised through Liall Smith’s free kick.

The visitors restored the lead with fifteen minutes to go when Mitchell struck but the victory was snatched away from Whitehill when Vale struck with a minute to go. The point a piece leaves Vale down in tenth place while Whitehill stay bottom but move to within three points of fourteenth place Dalbeattie Star.


by Craig Edwards

Gala Fairydean Rovers bounced back from last week’s defeat at Kelty to secure victory over University of Stirling.

Three second half goals was enough for the home side after a fairly uneventful opening 45 minutes. Craig O’Reilly stepped up ten minutes into the second half to give the hosts the lead with a volley before Dale Baxter doubled the lead on the 70th minute.

O’Reilly made sure the points were staying in Galashiels when he made it three with fifteen minutes left to pay at Netherdale. University of Stirling fought back and got a consolation goal in the final minutes through a Lewis Bonar free kick.

Victory for Gala moves them back up into the top ten in the league table while the University of Stirling slip down to thirteenth.

Edusport Academy 2-0 Civil Service Strollers

Civil Service Strollers headed off to Galabank to take on Edusport Academy on the back of a famous win over East Kilbride, while Edusport Academy had a creditable draw with The Spartans the previous weekend. It was Edusport who got off to the best possible start as Jean Guy Lucas capped off a beautiful team goal, to put the Academy ahead inside eight minutes.

Matthew Flynn capped off the performance with the second to seal the points for Edusport Academy, leaving them in fifth place, level on points with BSC Glasgow and Cumbernauld Colts.