Lowland League Roundup – Matchday 12

What a weekend in the GeoSonic Lowland League! Ronan, Craig, Martin and Jordan are here to round things up as we start to look ahead to next weekend.

Kelty Hearts 2 – 0 Gala Fairydean Rovers

by Craig Edwards

Kelty Hearts extended their lead at the top of the GeoSonic Lowland League with a 2-0 home win in Barry Ferguson’s first game in charge.

The ex-Scotland captain was given a good reception from the home support as he tries to continue the good form the Fifers had shown under previous boss Thomas Courts.

Gala Fairydean Rovers had beaten the previous league leaders, Spartans, in their last league game and started well with Craig O’Reilly heading the ball back to where the cross had come in from rather than towards goal.

The league’s top goalscorers soon showed why they are as they took the lead on the tenth minute. The ball fell to Stuart Cargill on the edge of the box and the forward drilled the ball into the bottom right corner to give Ferguson and the home fans the perfect start.

Kelty had chances to double their lead and just before the half hour mark they took one of them. A corner whipped in was headed in by Ciaren Chalmers.

Gala came into the game more once they went two down with Scott Christie palming away Sean McKirdy’s strike. Kelty had chances late in the second half to make the win more comprehensive but Cargill blazed over and Mathew Gay dragged his shot wide.

Overall, it was a strong start to the ‘Ferguson era’ at New Central Park as thanks to other results, his side sits three points clear at the top of the table. Gala Fairydean Rovers were brought back down to earth after their Scottish Cup win last weekend and drop to twelfth in the table ahead of their game with University of Stirling next Saturday.

BSC Glasgow 4 – 0 Vale of Leithen

by Ronan Alexander

Vale’s Craig McBride and Ryan Currie (2) are pressed by Declan Hughes (8) and Robbie Duncan (11) of BSC Glasgow.

BSC Glasgow continued their run of good form with an emphatic 4-0 win against Vale of Leithen.

Man of the match Declan Hughes opened the scoring after six minutes with a lobbed finish before Martin Grehan doubled their lead midway through the first half.

On the stroke of half time the hosts wrapped up the points after an own goal from Vale captain Jack Blaikie who turned the ball into his own net after the ball bounced off the keeper. Hughes netted his second of the game after 88 minutes to take Stephen Swift’s men up to fourth in the table. Meanwhile, Vale dropped to tenth in what was a disappointing display from the visitors.


by Jordan Robertson

It was a point apiece for both Spartans and Edusport on Saturday, however both sides will come away from Ainslie Park having been disappointed not to take all three.

The game started slowly but the hosts broke the deadlock on the twelve minute mark when Stephen MacDonald headed home at the near post. The home side could have doubled their lead when efforts from Jack Smith and Craig Stevenson were excellently saved by Pelmard Solal.

After the break Edusport grew in confidence and they huffed and puffed but looked as if they were going to be sent home with nothing. They laboured away until the 82nd minute when Jordan Alexandre managed to grab the equaliser for the visitors and the game finished level. This result leaves Edusport three points behind Spartans, who finish the weekend in third.


by Martin Fleming

Edinburgh Uni continued to showcase their impressive form in an unexpected victory over fifth place Cumbernauld Colts.

The game got off to a slow start with very little to report on from the first half. The second half managed to spice things up starting with a red card for Colts Arni Bembo on the 55th minute after a last-man challenge just outside the box.

It looked to finish a stalemate for the sides; however the University side finally broke through with four minutes left through Abdul Yusuf to grab yet another important goal to give the students victory. Edinburgh Uni move to sixth position while Colts fall to fifth.


by Martin Fleming

Civil rekindled the good form they showed at the start of the season after a shock result over East Kilbride at Christie Gillies Park.

Steven Froude put the home side ahead ten minutes in after heading a cross home. Ten minutes later, Cammy Muirhead doubled the lead after chipping Kilby keeper Matt McGinley. Gary Jardine’s men were in control for the entirety of the first period.

East Kilbride came out stronger and went in search of a comeback and managed to grab a goal when skipper Craig Malcolm found the back of the net from a cross to make it 2-1. However, Civil made the points theirs two minutes later as Muirhead bagged his second of the day to make it 3-1.

Strollers move up a place to eighth after the victory and Kilby remain in second place.


by Ronan Alexander

East Stirlingshire grabbed a much-needed three points over Gretna 2008 at the Falkirk Stadium.

With the game goalless at the break, it took Shire into the second half before they broke the deadlock through Paul McCafferty.

An injury time goal from substitute David McCaughie sealed the victory to take Shire up to ninth in the table whilst Gretna sit third bottom.


by Jordan Robertson

Whitehill Welfare’s miserable run of form continued on Saturday when they were defeated 3-0 by University of Stirling.

The Uni were looking to make it four away wins in a row and they got off to a great start when they took the lead through Blair Lyons on six minutes. The away side doubled their lead thanks to Aidan Ferris just before half time after constant pressure on the Welfare goal.

It was more of the same after the break and it continued all the way till six minutes from time when an excellent run from Blair Lyons was squared to Rory MacEwan who made it 3-0 and secured three points for Chris Geddes’ side. This result means that Welfare are on just 4 points for the season and the Ferguson Park side will need to start picking up points quickly if they hope to survive.