Inaugural match day roundup

The inaugural Scottish Lowland Football League kicked off on Saturday and there was no shortage of goals, twenty goals over six games.

Preston’s Athletics Michael Osbourne scored the first goal in the league when he broke away from the kick off and fired home in just thirty-two seconds. Preston’s lead was short lived, Andrew Donnelly scored his first of a hat-trick a few minutes later to level it. Kieran Dodds put Preston back in front but again Donnelly was on hand to level. Donnelly got his hat-rick on the hour mark but Dale O’Hara leveled for Preston within a minute of the leveler James Struthers fired Dalbeattie into the lead and to take all three points.

Whitehill welcomed Gala Fairydean Rovers to Ferguson Park, Gala were quick out the traps and in the opening minutes caused Whitehill all sort of problems but they couldn’t find a breakthrough. Aaron Somerville broke the deadlock for Whitehill when he broke up the wing and his cross come shot floated in the air over the top of the keeper and ended up in the net. Two goals from Wayne McIntosh in quick succession knocked the wind of Gala but they did manage to get a goal back through Jamie Gibson just before the interval. With ten minutes to go McIntosh got his hat-trick and in stoppage time Sean Palicza pulled back for the visitors.

Vale of Leithen played host to Gretna and with both sides having chances and not taking them it was left until the last ten minutes of this game to decide the winner. Scott Gormley fired the ball into the net to give the homes side the advantage and with only five minutes remaining Stuart O’Neill slotted the ball over the line to give the home team all three points.

In the Edinburgh derby most of the match was played in the middle of the park and there wasn’t many goal-scoring opportunities. Jack Beesley scored the winner on the hour mark when he got on the end of a long ball and he chipped the ball over the advancing keeper and into the net. Keith McLeod was sent off near the end of the game after he appeared to lash out an opponent.

Phil Addison gave Selkirk the lead in the opening minutes against Threave and despite both teams shaving various chances they went in all level at the interval. Ten minutes after the interval Craig Lawrie leveled for Threave and neither side could find a breakthrough.

East Kilbride travelled to Forth Bank to face Stirling University, both teams had chances to score in the first half but neither did. As the game neared the closing stages East Kilbride took the lead, this lead was short lived and five minutes later Paul Sludden scored from the penalty spot. Blair McWhirter then sealed the victory for the home side when he fired home with just a few minutes remaining.