Opening day roundup

A roundup off all todays action.Spartans set out their stall from the off and within six minutes, the defending champions were a goal to the good. Fine interactive one-touch play between Michael Herd, Willie Bremner and Jack Beesley saw the latter whip in an inviting cross to Bremner who gave Marshall no chance in the Stirling goal with an unstoppable strike from just inside the box.

Stirling leveled in the 34th minute Geddes run from halfway almost unchallenged to eventually slot the ball past Swain to give his side an equaliser. Frustration turned to elation however just four minutes later Keith McLeod scored his 277 Spartans career goal when he squeezed the ball between the keeper and the post to put his side back in the lead.

Aaron Somerville headed Whitehill into an early lead when he got on the end of an Andrew Kidd cross and the visitors looked in control. The Star passed their way through the Welfare defence and Scott Milligan slotted in from close range to equalise. The home side went close again just before the break and twice after before Liam Park eventually put his side front. Late on Wayne McIntosh headed in another Andrew Kidd cross to ensure a share of the spoils.

League newbies BSC Glasgow and Edinburgh University went head to head at Maryhill. Aaron Hodgson put the students ahead with a penalty kick, this was cancelled out by Ryan Holmes with nearly the final kick of the ball.

Elsewhere East Kilbride left it late to secure all three points when the travelled to Gretna, Gary O’Hanlon scored for the visitors with just a few minutes on the clock.

Andrew Cosgrove scored the only goal when his side Gala Fairydean Rovers made the journey to face Preston Athletic at Pennypit Stadium, both sides had chances but couldn’t find the net until Cosgrove fired the vistors in front in the 55th minute.

Garry O’Connor made his Lowland League debut for Selkirk and scored late on in Selkirk’s 3-0 victory over Threave. Benjamin Huteau put Selkirk in the lead before the interval, Yanis Lamghari scored in injury time after O’Connor’s goal.

A Mark Osborne double in the second half secured all three points for Edinburgh City after Gordon Donaldson fired them in front early o in the game.