Lowland League Roundup – Matchday 25

Another big weekend of results in the GeoSonic Lowland League. Catch up with all 22 goals from around the grounds with our Media Team’s reports.


by Craig Edwards

Vale of Leithen moved up to 12th place in the GeoSonic Lowland League table after coming from behind to earn a hard fought victory at Ferguson Park.

Whitehill Welfare lead after twelve minutes when Kevin Keane found the net direct from his corner kick.

The lead lasted for three minutes when Liall Smith finished from a Brad Rixon knock down.

It looked like it would be level at half time but Liam Ireland broke through a couple of minutes before the break to give the visitors the lead.

Vale were given the opportunity to increase their lead on the 55th minute when they were awarded a penalty. Blaikie stepped up and saw his spot kick saved but Ireland was on hand to fire in the rebound.

The hosts responded on the hour as Scott Wright pulled one back for the hosts but despite their best efforts, they couldn’t force an equaliser as they stay bottom and five points adrift of Dalbeattie Star.


East Stirlingshire 2-0 Dalbeattie Star

by Martin Fleming

Derek Ure’s men secured sixth place thanks a double over 14th Dalbeattie Star at The Falkirk Stadium.

It was the hosts who went into this game in favourites and seemingly Shire who proved to Star why that was. The Westfield side’s first half goal came from a perfectly placed long ball from Chris McKee to Andy Rodgers who cut inside the defensive back line and slotted the ball home.

East Stirlingshire were determined to secure all three points come the second half as proven by their numerous attempts on goal one after another. Eventually, the second came thanks to a header Connor Greene confusing the Dalbeattie defence and allowing Ross Allum to take advantage and bag yet another goal for the club.

The gap remains the same at the rear of the table for Star, however Shire would love to continue this great run of form and properly cement a top six finish.

University of Stirling 1-1 Cumbernauld Colts

by Martin Fleming

The University side shared a point apiece with Cumbernauld Colts at Forthbank allowing Stirling Uni to stay undefeated in 2019; however Colts slip to seventh place due to not grabbing all three points.

The first half seemed to go more in favour of Colts as the side dominated more of the ball in the opening 20. Just before the break however, it was Stirling who went in as favourites proven they were dangerous in front of goal.

Just after the second half kicked off, Stirling Uni’s Dominic Slattery was subbed due to a suspected broken finger. Only a minute later, Lewis Hunter helped put the University men ahead when his shot took a deflection and found the back of the net.

Colts never found their next attempt until 67 minutes in and luckily managed to convert it. Stephen O’Neill went for a through ball to Fraser Team who managed to slide it just under the keeper and grab the equaliser.

Stirling Uni fought out the last 20 minutes with full on attacks but none could penetrate the net. Their frustration was even more evident when Colts managed two goal line clearances from strikes from Blair Lyons.

Colts will be happy to escape with a point, although undoubtedly frustrated to lose their position in the top six.

gala fairydean rovers 0-1 kelty hearts

by Ronan Alexander

A Stephen Husband penalty secured all three points for third place Kelty Hearts at the Netherdale 3G on Saturday.

Chances were few and far between in the opening exchanges and it took 35 minutes for the breakthrough to arrive. A clumsy challenge saw Ross Mutch fouled inside the box and Husband sent Gala stopper Patrick Martin the wrong way from the spot.

After missing a last gasp spot kick last weekend, Gala had another chance to score from 12 yards when an almost identical tackle on the hour mark gave Darren Smith an opportunity for the hosts to draw level. However, Kelty keeper Scott Christie guessed correctly and saved the penalty.

Some solid defending from Scott McBride so him awarded man-of-the-match and Barry Ferguson’s men kept their fourth consecutive clean sheet. As for Gala, they again came agonisingly close to stealing points from one of the league’s top sides, but unfortunately fell short.

east kilbride 2-1 civil service strollers

by Ronan Alexander

Stuart Malcolm got his permanent reign as East Kilbride manager off to a winning start as they extended their lead at the top of the table to 10 points.

Kilby took the lead on he stroke of half time from the penalty spot. East Kilbride captain Craig Malcolm made no mistake from 12 yards to net his 25th goal of the season in all competitions.

After 55 minutes, Strollers were reduced to 10 men after Shaun Turnbull was sent off for an off the ball incident.

Midway through the second period, the home side doubled their advantage. A corner was cleared only as far as Anton Brady who curled home from the edge of the box.

Civil were handed a lifeline on 88 minutes when Jack Downie scored a penalty to half the deficit but it was too little too late for the visitors as they held on for three points as Strollers drop to fifth in the table.

edinburgh university 2-2 bsc glasgow

by Jordan Robertson

Edinburgh Uni earned an impressive point against an in form BSC side on Saturday.

The visitors were huge favourites heading into this one and on the 30th minute they took the lead when Carlo Pignatiello fired home from close range. However, their lead would last only two minutes as Finn Daniels-Yeoman fired a strike into the back of the net from distance to level for the Uni.

Three minutes later BSC were awarded a free kick which was whipped into the box for skipper Ross McMillan to meet and head into the Uni’s net to regain the visitors lead.

After the half time restart both sides tried for another goal and on the 77th minute the Uni squandered a glorious chance to equalise when Lewis Hendry put a header inches over the bar.

It looked like the points were heading back to Glasgow, however on the 88th minute the home sides persistence paid off. Max Condie powered a header past Ryan Marshall to earn a point for the home side.

edusport academy 0-5 the spartans

by Jordan Robertson

Edusport failed to capitalise on their midweek win over Dalbeattie Star as they were thumped 5-0 by Spartans.

Blair Atkinson opened the scoring for the visitors with a tidy finish after just eight minutes. The home side looked very uncomfortable and disjointed and on 24 minutes they were punished when Mikey Herd blasted a screamer into the back of the net to double the visitors advantage.

10 minutes later it was game over when Spartans striker Jack Smith beat the offside trap to stroke home and make it 3-0 for the visitors.

Edusport managed to hold on till half time and the second half game plan will have been to limit the damage. However, that game plan was chucked out the window when David Greenhill grabbed a fourth goal for the visitors.

To be fair to Edusport they were a lot tighter in the second half and it looked as if the game would finish 4-0 but right at the death Stephen MacDonald headed home to seal a fantastic 5-0 victory for Spartans.

A thrilling game if you are a Spartans fan, however Edupsort fans will be deflated as they suffer yet another heavy defeat – it is the fourth time in eight games that they have conceded five goals in a match.